Friday, February 7, 2014

Elaine's Patty Cakes or Basic Cake Mix

Well, Elaine was a great cook and good friend of my mothers.  I suspect that this recipie was well-used as it has the most 'splashes' on the page!  My mother was famous for her cup cakes, they were delicious, and we especially loved the ones she filled with cream.  We called them fairy cakes.

You can ice,  fill or top cup cakes a million ways!  Just take a look at google images or Pinterest for some inspiration.  You can also use creative cup cake patty pans, from newspaper to pretty printed ones, lace or silicone.  I have used the papers that wrap my favourite Amaretto biscuits.  You can get as creative as you like with cup cakes!

The only method listed with the recipie is "if for pattie  a teas of mixed spice"  - so NO method!  I have included the usual basic cake mix methods, which I know will work.  The recipie does make the note that you can substitute orange juice for the milk. As for the temperature  to bake at, 180C is the norm, so that is what I have put in the recipie.  Fill the cup cake tin 2/3 full.  I always use caster sugar for cakes as it disolves better, and vanilla from a vanilla pod is always better.  

I have not made this as one whole cake, but the recipie does say you can.

ALWAYS have the ingredients at room temp.


 

 

Cup Cakes

Rating: moderate

Ingredients: 

4oz butter a
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 cups self raising flour
1/2teas baking powder
3/4 cup milk
vanilla essence

Method:

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla, add eggs one at a time.  Sift flour and baking powder together and fold into mix, alternating with milk.

2/3 fill patty pans with the mixture and bake until they spring back when touched in the centre.  (about  20 mins).

..........................

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so feel free to leave some!